Saturday, December 24, 2016

Quiet Books, Part 2

The Doctor Will See You Now

2013 was a VERY busy year.  My daughter moved to DC to attend graduate school at Georgetown, I performed in the play Arsenic and Old Lace at a local theater, my husband and I traveled to Indiana, New York City, London, and Aruba AND I knitted those eleven sweaters.

Even with all that going on, it was also a year I needed to make another Quiet Book.  This time for my middle sister’s grandson.  My niece is a big Doctor Who fan.  I had already knitted her son a Dalek sweater, so I decided to make him a Doctor Who-themed Quiet Book.

I purchased a pattern for a Doctor Who Quiet Book from SpaceBatdesigns on Etsy.  The pattern only had 8 pages and I needed 16, so I had to come up with additional pages.  Also, although the pattern had great ideas and templates, I altered many of them to suit my needs.

As with my earlier books,  I used the instructions from the Sew Baby pattern for the size and layout of the book.  I ordered all the Doctor Who fabric from Spoonflower.

I used the template from the pattern, but instead of velcro I used a zipper.  Inside was a 11th Doctor finger puppet.


Both of these are my design.  I created "Jelly Babies" for matching colors and made a Converse sneaker for learning to tie a shoe. 
I used some of the clothing templates from the pattern for my "Dress the Doctor" page.  Others I created myself.  The Doctor doll used the template from the Modern Maven pattern.
I modified the clock from Modern Maven pattern into a pocket watch.  The "Count the Adipose" is from the Doctor Who pattern.  
The K-9 page is from the pattern.  A Fourth Doctor finger puppet is hiding inside.   Behind the sign is a phone.
I adapted the Weeping Angel template into a "Peek-a-Boo" page.   "Weaving" page using two hearts.
I actually think that face behind the hands is scarier than an actual Weeping Angel!
I used the pattern templates for both of these.  I used buttons to "Pose the Cyberman" and the Dalek was for practicing snaps.
I adapted the "I Spy" page  from Imagine Our Life
I had seen several memory pages, so I created a "Match the Companions" Concentration Game. 
Doctor Who Logo "Jigsaw Puzzle" page.

Although I had a lot of fun creating this Quiet Book, I don't know if I would make another one that is so specific in its theme.  I found it very difficult at times to come up with activity pages that would match the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment