Wednesday, December 21, 2016

2013 - The Year of Knitting Dangerously. 
Sweaters, Sweaters, Everywhere.


In December 2012, while I was heavily into knitting, I purchased Literary Knits by Nikol Lohr.  They had a great sweater pattern called the “Scout Cardigan” inspired by Scout Finch from the novel To Kill a Mockingbird.   I fell in love with this pattern, and I thought the sweater would make a great Christmas gift for my three great-nieces who at the time were 8 and 9 years old.  So, in January 2013 I embarked on my year of knitting sweaters.

I worked on those three sweaters from January through March and was quite pleased with the results.  In July, I went back and made one more. 


For all the sweaters I used Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash.  I needed 3-4 skeins for the sweater and 1 skein for the ribbing and motif.  You can find more details at my Ravelry project page.

After I had finished, however, I began to wonder what could I make for the rest of the great-nieces and nephews that would be comparable.  So, I decided to make everyone a sweater.  That would require me to make ELEVEN sweaters over the course of the year.  I decided I was up to the task! 

LET THE KNITTING BEGIN!!!! 

My next two were variations on the “Scout Cardigan”.  These were both for toddler-aged boys.  I used the same pattern, but instead of the mockingbird motif, I substituted a robot for one and a Dalek from Doctor Who for the other.  Since these were both smaller in size I only used 2 skeins for the body and 1 for the ribbing and motif of Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash.  Links to the robot cardigan here and Dalek cardigan here.



SIX DOWN - FIVE TO GO!!!!

The next sweaters were for boys, ages 7, 14 and 15.  I knew I had to find a different pattern - the “Scout Cardigan” just wouldn’t do.  Happily, Literary Knits had the perfect pattern for boys -  the “Oskar Pullover” inspired by Oskar Mazerath from The Tin Drum.  During March through May I worked on two sweaters.


Both of these I had to make as adult-sized sweaters.  To adjust the size I used Top Down Raglan Sweater Generator by Knitting Fool.   I used 4-6 skeins for the main sweater and 1 skein for the pattern of Berroco Vintage


ONLY THREE TO GO - BUT I NEEDED A BREAK!  AFTER ALL, IT WAS SUMMER!

After summer was over, I went back to work on the sweaters.  I used the “Oskar Pullover” pattern to make the last sweater for the 7-year old, but this time I just made it all one color and left out the design.  Again I used Berroco Vintage - 4 skeins.

The last two sweaters were for my husband’s 7-year old granddaughters.  For these two, I used the “Heartgyle Pullover” by Mari Chiba.  I found the pattern in the Interweave Knits, Holiday Gifts 2003 magazine.  I decided not to add the hearts and just made the sweaters all one color.  I added bright-colored buttons at the top.  Again I used Berroco Vintage yarn - 3 skeins for each.
 


HALLOWEEN - ALL ELEVEN DONE!!

Let’s just say, I’ve not knitted a sweater since!

No comments:

Post a Comment